The 2014 CHRISTMAS LECTURES: Sparks will fly

Prof Danielle George [Image: Paul Wilkinson]

The CHRISTMAS LECTURES at the Royal Institution have been inspiring generations of budding scientists since the first lectures in 1825. This year Sparks Will Fly, as Danielle George, a Professor of Radio Frequency Engineering in the Microwave and Communications Systems research group at The University of Manchester, talks about How to Hack Your Home, in the 2014 CHRISTMAS LECTURES.

If we all take control of the technology and systems around us, and think creatively, then solving some of the world’s greatest challenges is only a small step away. I believe everyone has the potential to be an inventor!

– Prof Danielle George

Last Christmas, I’m a Scientist, Get me out of here teamed up with the Ri to give school students and the public the chance to ask questions inspired by the Life Fantastic. This year it’s I’m an Engineer’s turn.

The CHRISTMAS LECTURES and I’m an Engineer

The lectures will be aired on BBC FOUR over the festive period and will then be available to watch on BBC iPlayer and then on the Ri Channel from January 2015. From December through to the end of January 2015 students and the public will be able to log in to ask any questions inspired by the Sparks Will Fly theme. We’ll have a team of engineers, including Danielle George and her team from The University of Manchester online answering questions, and taking part in live chats with students and the public.

Take part in the CHRISTMAS LECTURES Zone

Teachers: if you’ve applied to take part in any of the I’m an Engineer or I’m a Scientist events, you’ll get an email in October asking if you’d like to register your students for the 2014 CHRISTMAS LECTURES Zone. If you’ve not already applied, head over to xmaslectures.imanengineer.org.uk/teachers.

Engineers: Does your work or research make sparks fly? For more information on taking part in the 2014 CHRISTMAS LECTURES Zone, check out xmaslectures.imanengineer.org.uk/engineers-take-part/.

Information on tickets

Tickets to the filming of the CHRISTMAS LECTURES are available by ballot to members and fellows of Royal Institution and UK registered schools only. For information on the different levels of Ri membership available and how to apply for tickets to this once in a lifetime show, please visit www.rigb.org.

For more information on the entire series, visit www.rigb.org/christmas-lectures. You can watch past CHRISTMAS LECTURES for free on the Ri’s science video channel: www.richannel.org.

Posted on August 19, 2014 by Moderator - Josh in News. Leave a comment.